This morning I attended a breakfast seminar on email marketing hosted by Apsis. Here are some of my take-aways from the event, and some of my own experiences regarding building a strong email list.
* Offer something in return
– Other than (of course) great content, offer the subscribers a special treat in exchange for signing up. The treat can be anything from a free whitepaper, a contest entry, a small gift, access to exclusive content and news first, and so on, but remember to keep it relevant to your brand and/or the product(s) you sell.
*Don’t be afraid to ask
– Ask your customers, prospects, and other you think might have value of your newsletter, to sign up. (and get your colleagues to ask their contacts too)
* Promote your newsletter
– Add a newsletter promotion banner to your signature, and remember to distribute it to your colleagues too.
– Pop-up promotion on your web page. Some might find it annoying, but it can pay of. Why not give it a go for a short period, and see what it gets you? (remember to watch the bounce rate at your web site carefully though)
*Don’t forget offline promotion
-Add a QR code (that works!) linked to the subscription form on your business card, marketing collaterals or on posters ( e.g. if you own a store, add a QR-code where people tend to & queue up).
*Make it easy and compelling to share
– And encourage subscribers to do so. Add “Click to Tweet” and buttons for sharing in social networks.
Your turn – What makes you sign up for a newsletter?